What’s the best way to channel your nervousness in a new setting? Funny conversation starters of course!
After all, laughing releases endorphins which by the way are “feel-good” chemicals that put the body to ease. In turn, laughing reduces stress levels and temporarily relieves pain and promotes overall wellness. This’ll automatically put the other person at ease, making you appear more likable.
Funny Conversation Starters
You can’t fake funny. But we can offer you a few ideas on funny conversation starters. Here goes:
- If you’ve arrived late for an event, poke fun at yourself by saying “Wow, right on time,” and proceed to sit on your chair with a smirk.
- See someone bored yet interesting-looking at a party, go up to them and say “Hey, I believe it’s time we finally met!” and then introduce yourself.
- When you’re introducing yourself, ask the following question: “Being funny is my superpower, what’s yours?”
- Before shaking hands with someone, say “I don’t like to talk much,” and then proceed to introduce yourself with a smile.
- Start the by narrating a funny story based on what’s happening in the event. This could also be related a wedding, how met some of the people at the party etc.
- If hair seems a bit dishevel because of commute, take a seat and say “Sorry, I haven’t had my coffee yet!”
- Shake hands with someone and then compliment them for having a cool handshake.
- If everybody around you looks wearing a tie and you appear underdressed, remark about how overdressed you are for the event (that might get you some warm smiles).
Funny Questions to Ask
Once you’ve already been acquainted with somebody, you can keep the conversation going by asking some funny questions. Here is a couple that you might like:
- What quirks do you have?
- Do you think they’ll make another Superman movie?
- If all jobs paid the same, what would you be doing?
- What’s the worse gift you’ve ever received?
- Have you ever had an imaginary friend? What was his/her name?
- What’s the worse advice that you’ve received that actually turned out to be helpful/true?
- If you had a circus job, what would you have like to be?
- If you could play a lead sitcom character, who would you be?
- What’s the funniest thing that’s ever happened to you at work?
- What’s the most illegal thing you’ve done?
- When was the last time you climbed a tree?
- According to your loved ones, what’s the most annoying habit that you have?
- What movie would you like to live in?
- Read any scandalous news lately?
- If the sky wasn’t blue, what color would it be?
- Meet any cool people lately? (you know you’re talking about yourself, right?)
- If you could be a Disney character, who would you be?
- Were Rachel and Ross really on a break?
- What’s the weirdest thing you’ve posted on social media?
- If you could have any superpower in the world, what would it be?
- If you were to make the silliest sandwich in the world, what would you put in it?
- What was your favorite subject growing up?
- If you could rule the world for the day, what’s the first law you would omit in your country?
Tips on to be Naturally Funny
So here’s the thing, you’re either funny or you’re not. Developing your sense of humor definitely takes some time and skill (though it may be hard to believe). Now if you’re wondering why you should put in all this effort just to get a few laughs, funnier people are better liked and considered more attractive (score!).
However, being funny is something you definitely need not overdo since you don’t want to come across as unprofessional or insensitive. Here are some tips on how to be naturally funny:
Know Your Audience
Scan your audience before cracking a joke. Just because you find something funny, it doesn’t mean that the people around you will too. For instance, acknowledge that humor changes with age so if there are kids around, lay off aggressive jokes that might not be appropriate for youngsters.
Also, it’s best to only share inside jokes when you’re around close friends. Some people may end up feeling left out if they don’t understand the context.
Don’t Make Fun of Others
It’s perfectly fine to make fun of yourself. It shows that you’re not afraid to let your guard down and loosen up a bit. But what’s unacceptable is making fun of others. Such behavior can be labeled bullying and is definitely not a desirable trait.
Be sensitive to the people around you and your surroundings. Only crack jokes when it seems appropriate, other times, just go with the flow.
Don’t overdo it
You shouldn’t have to try too hard to be funny so don’t overdo it. Better than cracking jokes, tell humorous stories that revolve around daily life or humorous event that happened on your recent glamping trip. This’ll seem more natural and will hopefully make you more popular in your friend’s/workgroup.
Wrapping it Up
We hope you’ve enjoyed reading our list of funny conversation starters. Is there something you’d like to add? Tell us about it in the comment section below!